Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Pink Roses


      As I visited my Father-in-law one day I walked along the little garden path leading to his front door and saw these roses bent over with their stems broken...barely hanging on. The rain had fallen with such force that they bowed from the weight of it. They were so beautiful, I thought it would be a shame to leave them there so as I left I broke them off and put them in  the back seat of my car.

      They didn't mind the two hour ride home one bit. I think they were grateful for all the attention I was giving them. My Father-in-law takes care of them, but he doesn't really admire them and baby them as my Mother-in-law did before she passed away five years ago. He maintains them, but doesn't love them as she did.

      When I put them in the vase at home they reminded me of her and what a gracious lady she was. She was also beautiful, like the roses. She chose them long ago, planted them, and nurtured them. Now they live on as a memory of her caring touch.

("Fragrance" Royal Grafton, Fine Bone China, England)

      When I pulled out this teacup, I saw the pink roses looked a lot like the ones in the vase. I'm sure they are happy to share a cup of tea with each other and me. The gold trim on the handle of the cup is worn off a bit, so I know someone in the past enjoyed using it. Perhaps it was someone special like my Mother-in-law. I'm thankful she took good care of it and I can enjoy it now...and the roses.




      I hope I will be the kind of person to pass on beauty to others, whether it is something I have planted and nurtured, or gently cared for and preserved - like the tea cup. In that small way I can share a little of the blessings God has given me.

What blessings are you enjoying today?

Charlotte

I'm linking to these lovely tea parties...







13 comments:

  1. What a beautiful way to remember somebody. In the beauty of roses...

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post ! Every day for me is a blessing .. truly. The doctors still shake their heads when I go in for my check up visits, 4 1/2 years after my accident. They never expected me to survive. But here I am. So , though I may often voice how much I miss my life and the person (things I was able to do) ... I count my blessings each day that I am still here to step into a new life, new me ... making alterations as I go, for a better fit. We just finished planting , the start of our rose garden. wishing you a fabulous day..xo HHL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, Charlotte! Those rose faces are fabulous - and your teacup choice is perfect! You have accomplished your goal - you've shared beauty and I'm blessed!
    Joy!
    Miss Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful roses and a lovely tribute to you MIL.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I keep saying about this post is, "She opens her mouth in wisdom and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue". Prov 31:26.
    Beautiful truths, beautiful post!
    I have had a lovely and inspiring stop!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh those pink roses are so beautiful! And so is you cup and saucer....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Charlotte,
    that was a wonderful loving post. I am sure your Mother in Law was a very beloved person, that she get so loving memories from you. Your words touched me so. We all hope that somebody will remember us when we passed away. It is not much what will be left from our life and lots of memories fade with the time. But this rose and the beautiful tea cup will tell her story as long they exist. I wish you such loving daughters in law as you are.
    Best greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Charlotte, for a lovely post, sweet sentiments and wonderful quotes~ Your teacup is elegant. I appreciate your visit to my blog. Have a blessed Thursday :)
    shawn

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely teacup and it matches the roses beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Charlotte, you have a lovely way of telling a story. It was very touching.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just found you on Miss Spenser's Teacup Thursday. Your blog is beautiful. I love your story about the roses,,,very sweet.
    I'm thankful this week for the blessings of my family.Got to spend sometime with my two grown daughters this past weekend and it was so fun.
    Enjoy your week.
    Lady Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Charlotte,
    What a beautiful post; both the tribute and the photos. You have a special way of sharing your thoughts which I find very inspirational and endearing. Thank you for sharing your beautiful teacup as well as the roses and your words with Tea Time. You have made it all the more special by participating. Have a delightful weekend, my friend, and know that I do appreciate your prayers.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am touched by the fondness that you remember your mother-in-law and talk about your father-in-law. You are a lovely example to your children.

    ReplyDelete

...Please leave a comment so I know you visited! Thanks - Charlotte