Monday, March 22, 2010

Turning Cares into Prayers

Do all women tend to worry? I do. It’s not because I want to, I just do. Even when I tell myself I’m not going to, before long, I am. It just sneaks up on me, unexpectedly. Sometimes it comes after a tense conversation with one of my boys, or a glance at my over booked calendar. Other times it wakes me up in the middle of the night. It’s not that I’m looking for it, but apparently it is looking for me. When allowed to, it will consume my every thought. I must stop at the first hint of it and turn it over to God.


Worrying is the opposite of peace, and to dwell on it is not just harmful to our well-being, it’s sin. The reason it’s sin is because it’s the opposite of trusting God and His promise to give us peace.

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Eph. 4:5-7 NIV

As with most promises, receiving peace requires something from us – obedience. It requires us to pray and give thanks as the scripture says. We have to stop worrying long enough to look up; take our eyes off the situation and place them on God.

“Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.” 1Peter 5:7 NIV

Like most things in life, we tend to overcomplicate this very simple principle. The simplicity of these truths are condensed into this one statement – take all your cares and turn them into prayers. God’s promise of peace will take care of the rest.

Turning my cares into prayers is like literally lifting the weight of them from my shoulders and handing them to God. In return He gives me a peace that passes all understanding, and it guards my heart and mind from allowing the cares to sneak back in.

2 comments:

  1. Yesterday, I mentioned to my husband that I am praying and asking God repeatedly for a certain something to happen. I wondered if it was wrong that I keep asking Him for the same thing and praying the same prayer. Your post gives me some clarity... I am obviously worrying and even though I am repeating myself, I am taking my worries to the Lord in prayer.

    ReplyDelete

...Please leave a comment so I know you visited! Thanks - Charlotte