Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Log In My Eye

     This morning as I cleaned the bathroom and picked up other peoples things, I found myself getting irritated with their messiness; dirty towels, an empty collection of deodorant bottles, and a little pile of things dumped out of a pocket and left homeless on the counter. “The nerve of them” I thought, “To leave this mess here for me to clean up!”

      As I began feeling sorry for myself and wondering where I went wrong in my parenting, I came across another collection of debris – my husband’s! “Ah ha, the nut doesn’t fall far from the tree, does it?!”  And in my mind I began preparing a three point sermon on the importance of being a good example (for you-know-who) when I happened to round the corner from the bathroom to the bedroom, and what do you suppose I saw? Another mess! On the dresser right in front of me was a pile of books waiting to be given back to the lender, Easter candy still waiting to be given to one of our sons, borrowed videos, an old cell phone with all its accessories, and a pile of jewelry. I’m embarrassed to say…it was my dresser!

      I was just about finished forming that sermon (thinking it was pretty good) when somewhere deep within my heart, a still, small voice whispered, “You have a log in your eye. Why don’t you remove it first then talk to the others about their messes?” And just like that…my sermon was given a new title, and it was addressed to me!
"And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not perceive the log in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, Brother, let me remove the speck that is in your eye, when you yourself do not see the log that is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First remove the log from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck that is in your brother's eye."

Luke 6:41-42

Joining other Christian bloggers at
Spiritual Sundays

and

Faith Filled Fridays

6 comments:

  1. I think we all can relate . . . I'm glad that He chastises - or shows us our logs - out of love for us. It took me a long time to learn that and it is freeing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why is it so much easier to see others' mistakes than our own? I don't know, but I do know it's true. Thank you for sharing again.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! I felt totally convicted with this one! I have been having similar feelings lately and on the verge of exploding. Thank you for bringing this to my heart! I am praying that I can get that log out of my eye and move on to be a better example. Thanks Charlotte!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I'be been there too many times. Glad I'm not alone! Thanks for linking p with faith filled Friday. :) Blessed by you.

    ReplyDelete

...Please leave a comment so I know you visited! Thanks - Charlotte