Friday, January 6, 2012

Twas the Month After Christmas...



Twas the month after Christmas
And all through the town,
People looked tired
They seemed really down.

 Christmas was over
It was all packed away,
No lights, no more sparkle
Just regular days.

 The holiday feeling
Had faded and went,
Their pockets were empty
The money all spent.

 They looked rather hopeless
With heads hanging low,
The parties were over
They’d nowhere to go.

 Forgetting the good news-
The Holy One’s birth,
Can’t change with our actions
Or seasons on earth.
 
 
 Remind them that Christmas
Can never depart,
If Jesus – the Christ Child
Is born in their heart.


      After the Hebrew people celebrated the Feast of Tabernacles Jesus went to the temple early in the morning to teach. The lamps that were hung up through the city for the celebration were probably being removed that morning. I can imagine how people must have felt as they cleaned up the streets and put things away...kind of like we feel when putting away our Christmas decorations?  The party was over. But as they were taking down the lights that morning, there, in the temple was shining the Light of the World...right in their midst. He was the fulfillment of all the celebrations, but they could not see Him because they were focused on the party, not the person.

      What if it was always Christmas? Not the Christmas with Santa and shopping, but the kind that reminds us everyday that Christ was born...He came...He lived...He died for us...He rose again...He sits at His Father's right hand...and He is coming again!

      I don't know what Jesus was thinking as He watched them take down the lights, but I know what He said..."I am the light of the world, He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life." ~ John 8:12

      If the Christ child is born in our hearts, then we have His light, "the light of life" within us every single day. Let's shine brightly for Him, as we celebrate Christmas even after the tree is taken down, the twinkling lights are removed, and all the decorations are stored away in the attic. Everyday is a party for His followers, as we dance and sing praises for Him...celebrating the Light of life.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I want to be focused on Jesus instead of the party. My desire this year is to become so like Jesus HIS light shines through me. I'm so happy I read this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful poem..beautiful post! Much to ponder, Charlotte. I see you are a member of the Knee Team! Then you "know me"...since I am leading it for Linny :). God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this poem....and I echo your thoughts....have a great weekend Charlotte..and thanks for this great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post, Charlotte. We must never forget that He is the light of the world. We still have not taken down our Christmas tree. For one reason it is such a big job and another is I hate to let go to the season. This post helps me put it in perspective. The tree is going down this week for sure.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete

...Please leave a comment so I know you visited! Thanks - Charlotte